The California Budget & Policy Center (Budget Center), a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that conducts research and analysis on a range of state tax and budget issues — with a particular focus on issues affecting low- and middle-income Californians — seeks to hire a Senior Policy Analyst or Policy Analyst, depending on the level of experience and qualifications. This individual will play a leading role in the Budget Center’s analysis of economic policy issues, particularly labor market, wage, and income trends. This individual will also make contributions in one or more other Budget Center issue areas, including housing policy, tax policy, and/or policies that increase access to economic opportunity.
The responsibilities of the position include researching and writing reports; analyzing state budget and economic policies; representing the Budget Center before state and local constituency groups and policymakers; providing assistance to community groups, legislative staff, and government officials; and analyzing social and economic data to identify the impact of state, federal, and local policies on low- and middle-income Californians.
Qualifications for the position include:
- A graduate degree in a relevant discipline, such as public policy, economics, or public finance.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills, including a demonstrated ability to communicate complex topics to non-expert audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, develop and conduct policy analysis and research, and develop public policy options.
- Experience in policy analysis or research, including a familiarity with state, federal, and/or local budget and policy issues and related data sources. The position of Senior Policy Analyst requires at least five years of directly related program or policy analysis experience.
- Strong analytic skills, including proficiency with spreadsheets, large databases, and the Stata statistical software package.
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Willingness to work collaboratively as a part of a team.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the Budget Center.
This position is full-time. Salary will be based on experience and includes health and dental benefits. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, send a resume, writing sample, cover letter, and references to the address below or send all materials as a single PDF attachment to email@example.com.
Senior Policy Analyst/Policy Analyst
California Budget & Policy Center
1107 9th Street, Suite 310
Sacramento, CA 95814
The California Budget & Policy Center is an equal opportunity employer.