Support for education, from subsidized child care and preschool programs through higher education and beyond, is a critical investment our state makes in helping today’s young people to shape and participate in California’s future. Among the variety of workshops at Policy Insights 2016, our annual conference next week, are two sessions that will explore timely issues related to education in California.
Supporting California’s Early Learners: Strategically Investing in Children From Birth Through Kindergarten: A number of current proposals at the state level have the potential to significantly impact the provision of services for California’s early learners. This workshop will discuss the state’s investment in early learners and the various issues and debates likely to be in play during the 2016-17 budget cycle, including California’s plans for addressing reauthorization of the federal Child Care and Development Block Grant and the Governor’s proposed early education block grant. Panelists include:
- Deborah Kong, President, Early Edge California
- Donna Sneeringer, Director of Government Relations, Child Care Resource Center
- Dorie Staack, Director, Elementary Education and State and Federal Programs, Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District
- Moderator: Kristin Schumacher, Policy Analyst, California Budget & Policy Center
California’s K-12 Teacher Shortage: Recent Research and Potential Solutions: While boosts in state funding have allowed many school districts across California to increase hiring, enrollment in the state’s teacher preparation programs is at its lowest point in more than 10 years, and the state also confronts an aging teaching workforce and high levels of attrition. This workshop will include a review of recently published research on California’s emerging teacher shortage and a discussion of potential policy solutions. Panelists include:
- Eric C. Heins, President, California Teachers Association
- Patrick M. Shields, Executive Director, Learning Policy Institute
- Moderator: Jonathan Kaplan, Senior Policy Analyst, California Budget & Policy Center
Our conference also includes a wide range of other sessions on budget and tax policy, housing, criminal justice, minimum wage proposals, health care coverage, and much more. We hope you can join us at Policy Insights 2016 on March 9 at the Sacramento Convention Center. For an updated list of speakers and sessions, visit our visit our registration page.