Download the PDF version of this job announcement.
The California Budget & Policy Center (Budget Center), a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that conducts research and analysis on a range of state tax and budget issues — with a particular focus on issues affecting low- and middle-income Californians — seeks to hire a Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst, depending on the level of experience and qualifications. This individual will play a leading role in the Budget Center’s analysis of tax policy and tax equity issues and help to staff an advisory group of key stakeholders. This individual will also make contributions to the Budget Center’s work on state budget policy.
The responsibilities of the position include analyzing state budget and tax policies; researching and writing short reports targeting key policy deliberations; representing the Budget Center before state and local constituency groups and policymakers; providing assistance to community groups, legislative staff, and government officials; and analyzing data to identify the impact of state, federal, and local budget and tax policies on low- and middle-income Californians, on California’s tax system, and on the state’s fiscal health.
Qualifications for the position include:
- A graduate degree in a relevant discipline, such as public policy, economics, or public finance.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills, including a demonstrated ability to communicate complex topics to non-expert audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, develop and conduct policy analysis and research, and develop public policy options.
- Experience in policy analysis or research, including a familiarity with state, federal, and/or local budget and policy issues and data sources. The position of Senior Policy Analyst requires at least five years of directly related program or policy analysis experience.
- Strong analytic skills, including proficiency with spreadsheets, large databases, and data analysis.
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Willingness to work as a part of a team.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the Budget Center.
This position is full-time, and salary will be based on experience and includes health and dental benefits. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, send a resume, writing sample, cover letter, and names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org or by direct mail to:
Policy Analyst/ Senior Policy Analyst — Tax Policy
California Budget & Policy Center
1107 9th Street, Suite 310
Sacramento, CA 95814