The California Budget & Policy Center (Budget Center) seeks to hire a Communications Associate who will be a critical part of our team and help develop strategies for ensuring our research, analysis, and commentary reach core audiences. These include policymakers and their staffs, advocates, community leaders, and the media, as well as members of the public with an interest in how state policies can promote shared prosperity for low- and middle-income Californians.
About the California Budget & Policy Center
The team at the Budget Center works every day to build a more inclusive California where everyone has the opportunity to participate fully in the state’s economic, social, and political life. This requires our state to make smart policy choices and public investments. By examining the most pressing budget and policy issues and making them accessible and more understandable, we aim to broaden participation in state policy debates and help foster outcomes that work for all Californians, especially those individuals and communities who have not yet shared in our state’s economic prosperity.
How This Position Advances the Organization’s Work
The Budget Center’s communications and outreach efforts support these goals by helping ensure that a wide and growing audience has access to our research and analyses and understands how to use these resources to shape budget and policy choices. The Communications Associate is an ongoing position that reports to the Director of Strategic Communications. The Budget Center is committed to advancing equity and inclusion and seeks to create an environment and culture that embraces employee differences.
Roles, Responsibilities, and Qualifications
Key roles and responsibilities include:
- Developing content for social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and ability to learn and assess new technology and social media.
- Coordinating email campaign calendar, setup and delivery management, and staying current on email marketing best practices.
- Leading day-to-day management of the Budget Center’s website.
- Working with the Director of Strategic Communications and other staff on implementing — and continually refining — the Budget Center’s social media strategy.
- Editing photos and videos, and using graphic design elements in promotion of Budget Center’s research and analysis.
- Assist with promotion of events and outreach across California that enable the Budget Center to engage with key partners and stakeholders in their own communities.
- Compiling stakeholder/audience/legislative engagement, including website and social media analytics, to inform and help shape our communications and outreach efforts.
- Supporting the Director of Strategic Communications in establishing and maintaining contact with media representatives, community leaders, and policymakers.
Qualifications for the position include:
- Commitment to social, economic, and racial justice.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including editing and proofreading.
- Experience writing for general audiences, using preferred media writing styles for print, web, and social media outlets.
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently and as part of a team, and ability to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Some experience with public policy issues or California’s policy and/or nonprofit community.
- Strong knowledge of social media and other digital tools in professional setting (website content management, graphic design, email systems) strongly preferred.
- At least two years of experience in communications and/or outreach in a fast-paced policy, political, or nonprofit environment.
This position is full-time. The salary range for the position is $55,000 – $75,000 based on experience and includes health insurance, dental and vision coverage, retirement benefits, and paid time off for vacation, sick leave, holidays, and family leave. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, although applications received by June 30 will receive priority. To apply, send a resume; two relevant writing samples or a digital portfolio; cover letter; and names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org or by direct mail to the address below. No calls please.
California Budget & Policy Center
1107 9th Street, Suite 310
Sacramento, CA 95814
The Budget Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and welcomes diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of race, creed, color, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, and any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.