The California Budget & Policy Center (Budget Center) seeks to hire a Development Associate to support the Director of Advancement and help promote the organization’s financial growth and sustainability. A successful candidate will bring a knowledge of fundraising, demonstrated interest/experience in public policy, and a commitment to equity and inclusion.
About the California Budget & Policy Center
The Budget Center works to build a more inclusive California where everyone has the opportunity to participate fully in the state’s economic, social, and political life. This requires our state to make smart policy choices and public investments for Californians with low and middle incomes, including Californians of color. By examining the most pressing issues and making them accessible and more understandable, we aim to broaden participation in state policy debates and help foster outcomes that work for all Californians, especially those who have not yet shared in our state’s economic prosperity.
The Budget Center is committed to advancing equity and inclusion and seeks to create an environment and culture that embraces employee differences.
How This Position Advances the Budget Center’s Work
The Development Associate will play a critical role in advancing the impact of the Budget Center’s work through fund development. The Associate will work closely with the Director of Advancement to grow and sustain the individual giving program, strengthen stewardship activities, manage the day-to-day functions of the donor database (Salesforce), track grant-related deliverables and complete reports, collect and organize prospective donor information from the Board of Directors, and support development-related administrative tasks.
Given the nature of the Budget Center’s work, the organization’s fundraising needs are unique. We are seeking a candidate who understands and enjoys the intersection of public policy and fundraising.
The successful candidate will have outstanding written and verbal communication skills, strong interpersonal savvy, demonstrated interest and/or experience in public policy, a commitment to equity and inclusion, database management experience, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment to meet deadlines.
Roles, Responsibilities, and Qualifications
Key roles and responsibilities include:
- Support the expansion and improvement of development tools, such as databases and other systems, to support a growing development strategy. This includes:
- Manage list building, reporting, and administration of key funders and organizations within Salesforce CRM
- Support the development of a robust prospective funder program — for both institutions and individuals. This includes:
- Researching and identifying potential funders
- Tracking key funding opportunities
- Creating strategies for initial engagement; may include working with the Board of Directors
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with current funders and identify new funding opportunities. This includes:
- Consistent and reliable communication, e.g. funder updates, invitations to events, appeals, and thank yous
- Tracking shared goals and creating/supporting opportunities for engagement
- Planning and implementing customized engagement strategies with consideration for funders’ priorities
- Assist in the writing and editing of grant proposals and reports, including the updating of deliverable tracking
- Research on prospective funders in order to identify new opportunities
- Support the Advancement and Communications teams in strategizing, planning, and promoting Budget Center events. This work includes:
- Supporting event coordination and promotion — both virtual/digital and in-person events
- Managing relationships with vendors, including venues, a/v, printing, and catering
- Drafting and collaborating on targeted communications, e.g. follow-up emails, presentations, materials for meetings/events, etc.
Qualifications for the position include:
- One to two years of prior relevant experience in development/fundraising, such as knowledge of philanthropic communities or individual donor fundraising, or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience and/or interest in public policy or political issues is preferred
- Commitment to social, economic, and racial justice
- Effective writing, editing, verbal communication, and organizational skills are essential
- Eagerness to plan and implement development and fundraising strategies; enthusiasm for building relationships
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at once, to work independently, and to work as a team member to achieve common goals
- Experience in and knowledge of organizational/customer relationship management systems/databases (ideally Salesforce)
- Knowledge of and dexterity with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Suite, Zoom, Google Hangouts, and Facebook Live
- Knowledge of social media and other digital tools (website content management, email systems) is preferred, but not required
This position is full-time. The position is based in California and the organization’s headquarters are in Sacramento; telework options are available during the COVID-19 crisis and in response to government stay-at-home orders. The Budget Center values working together in person in order to build community, but will also allow regular telework options on an ongoing basis post-pandemic. The salary range for the position is $55,000 – $75,000 based on experience and includes health insurance, dental and vision coverage, retirement benefits, family leave, and paid time off for vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, although applications received by May 31, 2021, will receive priority. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and names of three references to Janis Yee, Director of Advancement, at firstname.lastname@example.org – with the subject line “Development Associate 2021.”
Please do not send materials by direct mail at this time, as the Budget Center is not working from our physical office location.
The Budget Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and welcomes diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of race, creed, color, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, and any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.