The California Budget & Policy Center (Budget Center) seeks to hire an Outreach Associate to help plan and implement strategies to expand the organization’s statewide reach and impact in improving public policies affecting the economic and social well-being of Californians with low and middle incomes. The Outreach Associate’s primary responsibility will be to identify and steward relationships with “key influencers” across the state who play a role in shaping public policy in California. Key influencers include advocates, philanthropic leaders, and community leaders.
About the California Budget & Policy Center
The team at the Budget Center works every day to build a more inclusive California where everyone has the opportunity to participate fully in the state’s economic, social, and political life. This requires our state to make smart policy choices and public investments. By examining the most pressing budget and policy issues and making them accessible and more understandable, we aim to broaden participation in state policy debates and help foster outcomes that work for all Californians, especially those individuals and communities who have not yet shared in our state’s economic prosperity.
How This Position Advances the Budget Center’s Work
The Outreach Associate is a valued member of the Budget Center’s growing team with the responsibility to help increase the impact and quality of our work by strengthening and building relationships with key influencers. This includes supporting the Budget Center’s efforts to center equity and anti-racism in our work by identifying engagement opportunities with organizations representing and led by women, Black, Latinx, Asian, Pacific Islander, and undocumented Californians, Native American individuals and LGBTQ+ individuals.
The Budget Center is committed to advancing equity and inclusion and seeks to create an environment and culture that embraces employee differences.
Roles, Responsibilities, and Qualifications
Key roles and responsibilities include:
- Lead the development of outreach tools, such as databases and other systems, to support a broader outreach strategy. This includes:
- Manage list building, reporting, and administration of key contacts and organizations within Salesforce CRM
- Research external organizations as potential key influencers
- Track key influencers’ priorities and policy agendas
- Initiate, maintain, and strengthen relationships with key influencers. This includes:
- Identifying shared goals and creating/supporting opportunities for engagement with key influencers, such as setting up meetings with Budget Center staff
- Planning and implementing customized outreach and engagement strategies with consideration for key influencers’ activities and priorities
- Support the Advancement and Communications teams in strategizing, planning, and promoting Budget Center events. This work includes:
- Supporting event coordination – both virtual/digital and in-person events
- Managing relationships with vendors, including venues, a/v, printing, and catering
- Drafting and collaborating on communications, e.g. follow up emails, presentations, materials for meetings/events, etc.
- This may include supporting Communications in reaching policymakers and their staff
Qualifications for the position include:
- Commitment to social, economic, and racial justice
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Eagerness to plan and implement outreach and engagement strategies; enthusiasm for building relationships
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to take initiative, problem-solve, think strategically, and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines
- Strong knowledge of and dexterity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Google Suite, Go-To-Webinar, Zoom, Google Hangouts, and Facebook Live
- Experience and knowledge in organizational/customer relationship management systems/databases – ideally Salesforce
- At least two years of prior relevant experience in outreach, including knowledge of advocacy communities; and/or nonprofit communications, coalition building, or campaign work
- Experience and/or interest in public policy issues is preferred
- Experience and/or interest in fundraising/development is preferred, but not required
- Knowledge of social media and other digital tools (website content management, email systems) is preferred, but not required
This position is full-time. The position is based in Sacramento, although telework options are available during the COVID-19 crisis and in response to government stay-at-home orders, and may be possible on a more ongoing basis. The salary range for the position is $50,000 – $75,000 based on experience and includes health insurance, dental and vision coverage, retirement benefits, family leave, and paid time off for vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, although applications received by August 21, 2020 will receive priority. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and names of three references to Janis Yee, Director of Advancement, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not send in materials by direct mail at this time, as the Budget Center is not working from our physical office location.
The Budget Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and welcomes diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of race, creed, color, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, and any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.