The California Budget & Policy Center (Budget Center) seeks to hire a Senior Policy Analyst to lead the Budget Center’s work on safety net policies and contribute to our broader work on state budget policy. The successful candidate’s primary responsibility will be to help guide the Budget Center’s efforts to analyze and advance sensible policies to ensure that California provides a robust, equitable, and accessible set of safety net services, particularly for Californians with low incomes and people of color.
About the California Budget & Policy Center
The team at the Budget Center works every day to build a more inclusive California where everyone has the opportunity to participate fully in the state’s economic, social, and political life. This requires our state to make smart policy choices and public investments. By examining the most pressing budget and policy issues and making them accessible and more understandable, we aim to broaden participation in state policy debates and help foster outcomes that work for all Californians, especially those individuals and communities who have not yet shared in our state’s economic prosperity.
How This Position Advances the Organization’s Work
Senior Policy Analysts are highly valued members of the Budget Center’s growing team with the responsibility to help develop our policy priorities, author innovative policy reports, make a case for solutions, and routinely engage with state, local, and national partners. Senior Policy Analysts also guide and review the work of policy analysts, research associates, and interns. The Budget Center is committed to advancing equity and inclusion and seeks to create an environment and culture that embraces employee differences. We value the lived experiences and diverse perspectives staff bring to their work.
Responsibilities and Qualifications
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Contributing to organizational strategy and work planning on safety net policies, including proposals pertaining to CalWORKs, CalFresh, SSI-SSP, and related programs.
- Contributing to the Budget Center’s efforts to center equity in our external and internal work.
- Analyzing state budget and policy proposals, both independently and in collaboration with other members of the team. This includes data analysis and writing reports targeting key policy deliberations.
- Guiding and reviewing the work of policy analysts, research associates, and/or interns.
- Developing relationships with state and local stakeholder groups and policymakers and helping guide their work through analytical and technical assistance.
- Providing assistance to community groups, legislative staff, government officials, the media, and funders.
Qualifications for this position include:
- Strong commitment to social, economic, racial, and gender justice.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication, including a demonstrated ability to communicate complex topics to non-expert audiences.
- Ability to take initiative, problem-solve, and think strategically.
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Willingness to help lead and work as a part of a team and enthusiasm for building relationships with key stakeholders and partners in our work.
- Substantial experience in policy analysis or research, including in-depth knowledge of state, federal, and/or local budget and policy issues, familiarity with data sources, and strong data analysis skills.
- Graduate degree in a related field plus 3-4 years of experience in related fields.
This position is full-time. The salary range for the position is $95,000 – $120,000 based on experience and skill set. Includes excellent health insurance and dental and vision coverage, retirement benefits, and paid time off for vacation, sick leave, and holidays. In-person, hybrid, or remote work arrangements will be considered. Budget Center staff are required to be located in California regardless of remote work arrangements.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Priority will be given to applications that are received by November 18. To apply, send a resume, writing sample, cover letter, and names of three references to email@example.com or by direct mail to the address below. No calls, please.
Senior Policy Analyst
California Budget & Policy Center
1107 9th Street, Suite 310
Sacramento, CA 95814
The Budget Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and welcomes diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of race, creed, color, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, and any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.