The California Budget & Policy Center is pleased to continue our Policy Perspectives Speakers Series with The State Budget Process and Key Issues to Watch for in 2019. This event will include two sessions:
Part I (9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.)
Dollars and Democracy: An Introduction to the State Budget Process
This first session is geared to those interested in learning about — or refreshing their knowledge of — the basics of California’s state budget process, including what happens when, and the roles of the Governor, the Legislature, and the public.
Part II (11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
State Budget and Policy Preview: What to Expect in 2019
With a new Governor preparing to take office, this session takes a look ahead to the upcoming state budget and legislative deliberations. Panelists will explore the key debates that will shape budget and policy choices at the state and national levels and what’s at stake for low- and middle-income Californians.
- Alissa Anderson, Senior Policy Analyst, California Budget & Policy Center (moderator) @alissa_brie @CalBudgetCenter
- Carolyn Chu, Deputy Legislative Analyst, State and Local Finance, Legislative Analyst’s Office @LAO_CA
- Melanie Mason, State Government and Politics Reporter, Los Angeles Times @melmason @latimes
- Frank Mecca, Executive Director, County Welfare Directors Association of California @fmecca @CWDA_CA
- Chris Woods, Budget Director, Office of Senate President pro Tem Toni Atkins @20chriswoods @toniatkins
Registration to attend the event in person has hit maximum capacity, but we will be webcasting this event live starting at 9:30 a.m. You can view the entire event, and ask questions, by registering for the webcast.
Join the conversation on Twitter at #PolicyPerspectives